Project: Small scale anaerobic digestion modelling: investigating the sustainability and economic viability of urban anaerobic digestion systems
Supervisors: Dr Tom Arnot and Dr Benedek Plosz
- MEng in Environmental Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Xanthi – Greece.
- MSc in Solid Waste and Waterwater Managment, Democritus University of Thrace, Xanthi – Greece.
- Research interests during studies: Sustainable municipal solid waste and wastewater management.
Project Environmental Engineer at the local Solid Waste Management Authority (DIAAMATH S.A), in the Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace – Greece, for two years.
Environmental consultant for one year at EPEM S.P., which is a private company in Athens, focusing on solid waste and wastewater management projects and planning.
Finally, while working for D-waste S.A. as a freelancer, Ioannis spent two months in the Republic of Kosovo on the following project: Waste Management Sector Assessment, Sector Development Plan and Pre-feasibility Studies.
While working for DIAAMATH during his Master’s, he was also in charge of organizing a one and a half year field experiment to study the Municipal Solid Wastes baling technology and the decomposition of the organic fraction of M.S.W., stored in wrapped bales. This project included: installing and monitoring a baling-wrapping line, experimental design, gas sampling through the bales via a portable gas analyser, physical composition and solid’s characterization of M.S.W. at the University lab, and a factorial analysis of the results. The outcome from this project has been published at J.E.M.A (Journal of Environmental Management, 2013. 115 : 32-41).
- Energy from waste
- Biomass and biofuels
- Anaerobic co-digestion of sludge with organic wastes
- Animal and agricultural waste management
- Life cycle analysis
- Membrane technologies
- Recovery of chemicals and nutrients from wastewater
WISE 2017 Summer School Presentation: Ioannis_Markidis_Jun17
June 2017 Poster: Ioannis Markidis Jun17